FACT: Zucchini is a fruit.
Source – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchini
Although botanically Zucchini is a fruit, in the culinary world its often referred to as a vegetable.
Zucchini’s are usually cooked and presented as a savory dish.
Zucchini fruit is low in calories (approx 15 cal per 100g fresh) and contains good amounts of folate, vitamin A and potassium.
Fun Fact – A zucchini has more potassium than a banana.
Learn how to cook zucchini flowers
Are green squash and zucchini the same thing?
The similarities between zucchini and yellow squash are:
- They are both summer squash (or a type).
- They are relatively the same shape and size (-crookneck variety of yellow squash).
- They are interchangeable in recipes, you can substitute yellow squash for zucchini in zucchini bread.
- Both have a very mild flavor, enabling them to pair well with many other ingredients in dishes.
- Both are high in water content and having relatively the same nutritional value.
- Zucchini is green and contains less seeds than it’s yellow counterpart.
- Small differences in some flavor and nutrients but it is nearly imperceptible.
More Zucchini Flowers and Courgette Blossoms information.